Thursday, August 16, 2012

About This Blog

The title of this blog is "tous magous," which is Greek for, "the wisemen." I've always thought it sounded funny and I've spent a lot of time thinking about the magi. So, I called this blog, "tous magous." It has taken me years to figure out what this blog is about. This blog's purpose is to reflect on biblical passages (maybe some other things) in a devotional manner.

For some background, I'm a recent seminary graduate who is awaiting a call to a congregation (that's the church jargon for "a job as a pastor") in the ELCA (The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America).  I spent the past two and a half months looking for part-time work everywhere I could think of (from restaurants to churches of all denominations to dog-poop removal services).  Every Sunday during those weeks, I agonized over not being able to preach.  The texts for the week spoke differently to me as I was unemployed, no longer a student, homesick, and thinking about all of the loans I'd need to start paying back SOON.  Then, it dawned on me: I could still work on the weekly readings that my seminary pals were preaching on and I could do it for people in circumstances similar to mine.

These reflections (hopefully, there will be three to four weekly reflections on the text for the following Sunday) are about and for those who are unemployed, underemployed,or discerning what the heck God is calling us to today.

No comments:

Post a Comment